ACCEPTING NEW SINGERS for our 25th Anniversary Season. Fill out the form below.
Come join Common Thread Community Chorus, a non-audition choir that builds community while promoting social justice. Our songs come from multicultural folk music traditions. We aim to change the world one song at a time – while have fun doing it!
Common Thread is celebrating its 25th season starting in September 2023. Be a part of this historic season of song. There are several ways to participate in the chorus: a General Singer, a Social Singer or online as a Virtual Singer. Note: • Singers must register in the category of their choice at the beginning of the season. • Singers will retain their status for the full season. • The number of Social Singers may be limited across the choir and/or by voice section.
General Singer Benefits:
• A gradual and stress-free learning approach that both first time and seasoned singers will enjoy.
• Weekly Wednesday rehearsals or sectionals, September to May starting at 6:45 p.m. at Cecil Community Centre. • Two full day musical retreats held in Toronto on a Saturday or Sunday.
• During the choir’s 25th season you’ll be part of celebratory events and activities.
• A conductor and assistant conductor skilled in leading first time and seasoned singers alike.
• A choir administrator to assist with procedural matters including arrangements for fee subsidies.
• Access to music scores and choral information through the Members Section of the CT website.
• Audio rehearsal tracks for each voice section to aid with music learning even if a singer cannot read music scores.
• A weekly newsletter issued by email with the latest choir news including the songs to be rehearsed that week.
• Three public performances each season.
• Friendly mentorship and support to help with social and musical integration.
• The opportunity to join “CT In the Streets,” a volunteer group that takes social justice singing to rallies, demonstrations and community events.
• Volunteering opportunities on CT committees covering areas like concert production, community outreach, singer recruitment and fundraising.
• An open door to activities ranging from picnics and potlucks to informal community singing.
• Voting rights at the choir’s annual general meeting.
• Regular attendance at rehearsals, sectionals & retreats. (Two 9am – 5pm weekend retreats take place each season)
• Payment of the membership fee of $450. Subsidies are available. A tax receipt is provided.
Common Thread Chorus recognizes that some people will want to participate without having to meet the attendance expectations applicable to “General Singers.” In this case, join as a Social Singer. For others, it may be impossible to join rehearsal and retreats in person on a regular basis due to travel distance or personal situations. In this case join as a Virtual Singer.
There are only a couple of differences in the benefits and expectations between General Singers and Social/Virtual Singers.
Social Singer or Virtual Singer Benefits:
• Are not expected to regularly attend rehearsals, sectionals or retreats.
• Will not be eligible to sing at public performances.
• A complimentary ticket to attend Common Thread performances.
• All rehearsals and sectionals will be streamed online.
Relevant sections of retreats will also be streamed.
• Payment of the membership fee of $450. Subsidies are available.
• A tax receipt is provided. We strive to be fully accessible to everyone by removing physical, financial, musical and social barriers. We will be rehearsing in person or via Zoom, each Wednesday. You will be asked to attend both an orientation and a vocal assessment session (details to follow).
Please complete the form below. You will then receive a confirmation by email that we have received it. Your personal contact information will only be used for CT purposes. We will not share it with others. Communications from us include our notices of events, our newsletter and other choir activities.